This morning is listen to Colleen's podcast on raising vegan children. It was a huge inspiration. Cody and I talk quite often on raising the children vegan and exactly how we want to do so.
This has been one of the few challenges of going vegan. The kiddos. Not in how they are reacting to the change in diet. This is all good, but in how others are. I understand that they are concerned. Most are indeed afraid of the unknown. I want to turn their fears into curiosity and their curiosity into being informed. Informed on our decisions in life and hopefully their own.
There are so many instances where I am going to need to be prepared at events, family gatherings, and school functions. But this is GREAT! Food is activism. Every chance there is to cook, to bring a dish, to introduce something delish to someone that never has opened their mind to veganism is a grand opportunity.
To be a little more specific Colleen talks about how one of her good friends prepares a bag of treats for daughter's teacher to keep in the classroom for birthday celebrations and holiday events so she never feels left out or that it’s unfair. I absolutely LOVE this idea and will be doing the same. I want our kids to know that it's okay to not have the same thing that everyone else is having. We all make our own decisions and for different reasons.
With kids I believe teaching is the key. For example, we explain to them why we don't drink the cows milk. "If we drink the cows milk what will their babies drink?" It is all about asking them the questions because they know the answers. We are all born with compassion. Everyone. We are taught somewhere along the line that it is okay to do harm, it's something learned and accepted as we get older.
I want them to know that we don't have to have something sugary to celebrate someones birthday. I think we all need to lighten up on the obsession with food in the first place.
Children have questions themselves. They know why we don't consume any animal products, but they wonder why others are eating meat, dairy, and eggs, especially those close to them. I let them know that most people don't think about what they are eating and don't necessarily realize that they are hurting animals. I think its important to not criticize others and point out that they don't know or are not ready to make the change. We don't want to raise them to be judgmental or have an issue of we are good they are bad. Life is a learning experience for us all.
In the podcast she talks about reacting to situations where the child might consume non vegan food by accident. The key here is to make sure that if you are not around that they ASK if the food is vegan or not. This is something they will have to do their entire life as a vegan not living in a vegan world.
As parents we must be sure of our own personal commitment and know why we are choosing to be vegan and be proud of that. We need to show them that we are making the right decisions, and never have it appear as they are missing out. Because they aren't and they need to feel that strong foundation.
I do however expect respect from others, most importantly around the children. Whatever your stand be on veganism, vegetarianism, or the price or rice in china....respect is key. I not going to start on this right now...another post, another time.
We want our children to want to be vegan. In the end it's their decision. We need them to stay connected to the animals. It's the small things that will make all the difference. Taking walks, visiting the beach, rescuing animals, planning vacations in nature, playing in the backyard, simply letting them enjoy the world around them. The best gift we can give to our children is to honor the empathy that they have for animals by letting their natural compassion they have guide us.
With all this said, if you have questions about how we are making the change over with the kids, what they think of it, or my personal opinions on any of this please do ask....I would love it!
And I might just pin one these babies to the kiddos when not with me as a friendly reminder...


No comments:
Post a Comment