Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I'm Overloading Google.

Becoming Vegan is not an over night decision. It's a process of learning any and everything you possibly can, putting it into action, and sharing the knowledge with anyone who will listen (or read). I have overloaded Google with a billion questions this past week. This was what I focused on earlier this morning. 

Is sugar vegan?
Technically sugar is vegan. However, the way it is refined is not. In most cases white cane sugar is filtered with bone char. 

Many companies will call this "natural charcoal". This is to feed the consumer's need for the white 'pure' crystals. No need to fret, there are sugars that are completely char-free.  


Bone Char-Free Sugars Produced By U.S. Companies

CompanyBrand Name
C&H SugarC&H Pure Cane Washed Raw Sugar
C&H Pure Cane Certified Organic Sugar
Cumberland Packing CompanySugar in the Raw
Domino SugarDomino Demerara Washed Raw Cane Sugar
Domino Pure Cane Certified Organic Sugar
Florida CrystalsFlorida Crystals Demerara Natural Sugar
Organic Evaporated Cane Juice (granulated and powdered)
Golden Granulated Evaporated Cane Juice
Florida Crystals Milled Cane Natural Sugar
Florida Crystals Certified Organic Natural Sugar
Great Eastern SunSweet Cloud Organic Raw Cane Sugar
Hain Celestial GroupHain Organic Brown Sugar
Hain Organic Powdered Sugar
Shady Maple FarmsShady Maple Farms Granulated Maple Sugar
Tropical TraditionsRapadura Whole Organic Sugar
Wholesome SweetenersLight Muscovado Sugar
Dark Muscovado Sugar
Sucanat (granulated and powdered)
Organic Sucanat (granulated and powdered)
NOTE: 100% Pure Beet Sugar is not passed through a bone char filter.

This is all great, but I would like to step outside of the traditional white cane sugar and venture into some of the natural and vegan options out there that I am personally excited to try. 


Agave Nectar is what I will be purchasing first. It is the juice from its plants leaves that is filtered, heated, and concentrated. It has anti-inflammatory and immune system boosting properties, including antimicrobial capability. I can't wait to whip up a batch of cookies! A few things I have learned about it though when it comes to baking to keep in mind...Agave is 1.4 times sweeter than sugar, adds additional liquid to the recipe, browns quicker, and will make the batter a bit stickier. You can take a look at the glycemic values of Agave Nectar compared to other vegan sweeteners. 

GLYCEMIC VALUES
Organic Agave Nectar 27
Fructose (fruit sugar) 32
Lactose (milk sugar) 65
Honey 83
High fructose corn syrup 89
Sucrose (sugar) 92
Glucose 137
Glucose tablets 146
Maltodextrin 150
Maltose 150


It's empowering to make informed decisions and know that you are giving yourself, your loved ones, and the earth the very best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird