Saturday, January 19, 2013

Slap in the Face.


I remember the summer I became a Vegetarian. It was 2003. It will be 10 years this summer. My mom had just gotten a laptop which I quickly became glued to. I had PETA videos continuously playing one day, and the rest is history. It’s the norm for me to just not eat meat. It doesn't necessarily gross me out to prepare it for others, and I never think twice about my everyday choices in food consumption. I came across a video on Facebook today posted by my good friend, Christina, who I strongly respect for her compassion and knowledge. It was down right stomach churning.  

Holocaust on a Conveyor Belt

It hurt my heart and woke up a part of me that I have known for a long time has been forgotten about and I didn't know how to get back. It’s not that I stopped caring about the causes I had once felt so strong about that I had to tell everyone I knew how I felt and why things that are so normal to most people in this country are in fact ass backwards and completely immoral. Life happened, and priorities changed. Priorities are in fact continuously changing and my compassion for life is moving back up to where is needs to be. If we don’t take the actions to change things in this disgusting world who will? 
Cody and I let our children decide for themselves whether they eat meat or not. The girls would choose a black bean burger over a meat patty any day….Aiden on the other hand tend to leans more towards his Dad’s side. Not that Cody is a huge meat eater, he fully enjoys the vegetarian meals I prepare for the family, but the man likes his meat once in awhile. It’s cool…we all make our decisions. I want the kids to be more informed on their decision making though. I want EVERYONE to be more informed. 
So cheers to becoming more informed and compassionate everyday! 


I wrote the above…THEN I watched this…


Yes, I watched the entire thing start to finish. It's powerful and life changing. 

I’m angry at myself for allowing the kids to consume violence and death. I am ashamed that I have not informed them the proper way and I am disgusted in what I have personally consumed even within the past ten years of being vegetarian. It’s a slap in the face, and things are going to change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird